The house was originally constructed in 1641 by Francoise de la Haye and at that time was a" manoir" rather than a chateau, being much smaller than it is now. It was bought by Etienne d’Ivry in 1724 who built some of the outbuildings including the chapel.
During the Second World War, the German military occupied the chateau for a short period, but at the time there was no running water in the property so they did not stay long!
By 1958 the chateau was very run down and was bought by a Parisian family and completely restored. The gardens were laid out and landscaped and the terracing at the back allowed the conversion of the cellars into a large living area.
The current owners bought the property in 2003 and have restored a number of the outbuildings and re-roofed all the buildings.
Many famous people have stayed at the chateau, including the Aga Khan and the Dalai Lama.